Termites cause property damage worth millions of dollars every year. They can turn your beautiful, comfy dream house into a nightmare. One aspect that makes them hard to control is the stealth with which they dig through the structure of your house. It can take long before you even get a clue that there is an infestation within your walls and by the time you realize it, a lot damage which requires expensive repairs has occurred and the termites may even move on to other items in your home. This is why you need to hire an exterminator for termites as soon as you discover your home has an infestation.
While some folks would rather do it themselves: go to the store, buy bug spray and proceed to hunt down the pests, it is a better idea to look for a professional because of the following reasons:
- Inexperienced attempts to eradicate termites might make the problem worse because they will spread out and restore themselves in other parts of the house.
- It will save you money. Buying bottle upon bottle of spray is as expensive as it is tiresome and ineffective. It would be a better idea to hire someone who will fix the problem once and for all.
- The insects that you see might be just a tiny part of the pest problem. You might kill a number of bugs but there are probably thousands more. A professional exterminator knows where bugs hide and how to flush them from the source. Here is a video on how they use thermal image technology to find termites.
- It is better for the long term. Most consumer-grade bug sprays have a short life and their chemical components break down quickly. Professional exterminators have better products which can safeguard your home and possessions for a longer time and remove the need to treat repeatedly.
- For precautionary maintenance. After the first pest problem is taken care of, the exterminator will give you an annual inspection and precautionary plan. This is important because you can catch any new infestation at the early stages before they cause you damage and also give you a hard time repeating the process of treatment all over again.
Some of the signs of termite damage you should look out for are:
- Buckling wood
- Swollen floors and ceilings
- Earthen tubes extending over foundation walls
There are various companies that offer pest control services and you should call them and explain your problem to them. They have special equipment to find termites such as the thermal imaging technology shown in the video below.